How It Works
Investing in solar technology is an investment in Austin's future. There are benefits to you as a customer and the greater Austin community.
Is a Solar Energy System for You?
To begin your decision making process follow these steps:
- Review the Solar Energy Candidate Checklist
- Review the Solar Photovoltaics Guidelines
This details the offering requirements
Select a Solar Energy Installer
Austin Energy will provide rebates only to customers who use a Participating Solar Energy Installer. As with any project, you may want to talk to multiple installers and receive several bids.
- Select a Participating Solar Energy Installer from our Solar Rebate Participating Company List.
- Schedule a review of your property and request bids—the installers will help determine any specific needs for your property.
- Submit your rebate application (pdf)—your participating Solar Energy Installer will assist in the rebate application process
Evaluate Homes Energy Efficiency Needs
Applicants will be required to demonstrate compliance with energy efficiency standards for their residence prior to being issued a Letter of Intent from Austin Energy.
- Review the Minimum Energy Efficiency Requirements.
- Have efficiency work completed if needed. Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®—Rebate
Receive Rebate Approval Prior to Installation
Austin Energy must approve your solar energy system project prior to installation.
- WAIT FOR REBATE APPROVAL—If your project has been approved and funding is available for your rebate, we will send you a Letter of Intent (LOI), which guarantees your rebate for 120 days.
Complete Your Solar Energy System Installation
- A participating Solar Energy Installer will install your system—this will typically take two to three days.
- Contact Austin Energy by e-mail or at (512) 482-5346 to schedule a final inspection.
You can apply for both a solar PV loan and a rebate.
Saver™ Program—Saving Energy Together