Solar Photovoltaics — Energy Efficiency Requirements
Existing Residential Homes
Homes Less than 10 years old are exempt from Energy Efficiency requirements.
Homes 10 years old or older must meet or have met one of the following within the past 10 years (if verified no additional energy improvements are needed).
- Home has completed the following recommended measures through the Austin Energy Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program.
- Solar screens or window treatments are required for all sun facing windows and glass doors receiving at least one hour of direct sunlight in the summer and on 40% or more of the glass area.
- Attic insulation shall be no less than a rated value of R-22.
- Home comprehensive air seal testing is required.
- Ideally, the house should have between 0.35 and 0.45 Air Changes/Hour (ACHn).
- Mechanical air ventilation is recommended for houses that are tighter than 0.35 ACHn. The homeowner should be advised when this condition exists.
NOTE: blower door test must be performed in addition to ECAD audit.
- Air duct system performance testing must prove that there is 10% or less leakage.
- Home has received energy-efficiency improvements through the Austin Energy Free Home Improvements program (Austin Energy offers free home-energy improvements only to customers with low-to-moderate incomes.); or
- Home has received an Austin Energy Green Building 5-Star Rating.
NOTE: All dates related to participation in an Austin Energy Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program or Free Home Improvements program will be the calendar year of participation.
Home Water Heating System Requirements:
- Homes that use an electric water heater are required to have an Austin Energy approved water heater timer installed.
- Homes with three or more bedrooms that use an electric water heater are required to install a rebated solar hot water system in accordance with the Solar Hot Water Rebate Program Guidelines or an ENERGY STAR® qualified water heater listed at http://www.energystar.gov
- Homes using heat pump water heaters or currently using heat recovery water heaters with electric water heaters will also be acceptable technologies.
The Austin Energy guidelines and rebate levels are subject to change at any time, without notice.
You can apply for both a solar PV loan and a rebate.
Austin Energy makes no financial commitment to rebate applicants until a signed Letter of Intent is issued. Rebate funding is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and is subject to program budget constraints. Any application for which funding is not available will be returned to the applicant.
Saver™ Program—Saving Energy Together