Commercial Rebate Process
Austin Energy helps you throughout the rebate process. We follow the same steps for most of the commercial rebates we offer. We will suggest all the commercial rebates that will benefit your bottom line, and you can apply for more than one at a time.
Austin Energy offers rebates in the following technology categories:
- Air conditioning
- Building envelope
- Interior or qualifying exterior lighting
- Uninterruptible power supply and other technologies
- Variable frequency drives
Rebates vary based on the quantity of equipment, efficiency ratings and chosen retrofit, or new equipment solution.
Please refer to the General Qualifications/Guidelines document for additional information.
How to Participate
Step 1: Comply with the City of Austin’s Energy Conservation Audit and Disclosure (ECAD) Ordinance
You must comply with the City of Austin’s Energy Conservation Audit and Disclosure ordinance in order to receive an Austin Energy commercial rebate. View (ECAD) Ordinance for Owners of Commercial Buildings to learn how.
Step 2: Contact Us and Prepare Required Documentation
- Call (512) 482-5346 or email us to schedule an initial assessment of your facility. Be sure to include your name, telephone number, and the name of your business in the email. An Austin Energy representative will contact you to get started.
- If you are eligible for commercial rebates, you will receive an Interactive Rebate Opportunity Workbook (IROW) from the Commercial Energy
- To apply for a rebate, fill out the Customer Information Request portion of the IROW along with pertinent Rebate Application(s), attach your W-9 and technical specifications along with the IROW, and submit all to the Commercial Energy Efficiency program.
- After reviewing the IROW, Austin Energy will send confirmation that your project is eligible for a rebate.
- Austin Energy must perform an initial verification of your existing equipment. Exceptions include:
- 5.5 ton and smaller direct expansion air conditioning equipment
- Motor replacements
- Window treatment projects
- Notify Austin Energy when your project is complete, and a representative will schedule a final site visit to verify equipment installation.
Step 3: Receive Your Rebate
- You will receive your rebate check four to six weeks after your project passes final program review and approval.
- Austin Energy will process your rebate payment based on the installed equipment as documented on your Rebate Application and confirmed in the final verification.
- All rebates are made payable to the commercial end user as listed on the
W-9 Form unless specified otherwise by the Austin Energy customer.
Get Started Today
Call Austin Energy’s Commercial Rebate program at (512) 482-5346 or email us to schedule an initial assessment of your facility. Be sure to include your name, telephone number, and the name of your business in the email. An Austin Energy representative will contact you to get started.
Bonus Rebates for Qualified Small Business Customers
Qualified small business customers and nonprofits may be eligible for a bonus rebate on all selected energy conservation measures, except solar photovoltaics.
New Construction Projects
For new construction projects, see the New Construction Guidelines.
Commercial new construction projects are defined as:
- Building shells
- Complete build-outs
- Additions and major building remodeling
Eligibility for rebates requires projects to exceed the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC 2009) efficiency levels, including City of Austin amendments to that code.
Funding for programs is limited. Programs are offered to Austin Energy customers on a first-come, first-served basis. Programs are subject to change without notice.