Installing charging equipment at a multi-family property is a collaborative process between the Home Owners Association/ Property Manager, tenants, and Austin Energy. Currently, plans are underway to provide a rebate to assist with installation.
Benefits to Multi-Family Properties
- Earn an Austin Energy Green Building Innovation Point
- Receive assistance with all billing-related matters for your charging station
- Enjoy hassle-free maintenance: AE provides contractors to check, clean and perform maintenance, as needed, on the station
- Power up with GreenChoice®-All stations are powered by renewable energy; a great amenity for your employees, customers or tenants.
Steps to Get Ready
Follow the steps below to plan how your property can get ready for plug-in electric vehicles.
- Poll your residents. Evaluate the interest level within your multi-family community. Questions to ask include “Who already owns a PEV?” and “When might a tenant buy one?”
- Contact Austin Energy. Email us your request and we will help get you on your way to understanding electric vehicles, their charging technology and the costs involved. We can also guide you through charging business models and help you find a licensed and experienced contractor.
- Understand Restrictions. Review the codes, covenants, and restrictions to make sure your property allows PEV charging equipment.
- Join our network. Become a part of Austin Energy’s Plug-In EVerywhere™ network and your station will be connected to our network of over 100 stations at more than 50 locations.
Email Plug-In Austin for more information about options for multi-family properties.
Multi-family property station hosts must sign a station host agreement to join the Austin Energy Plug-In EVerywhere™ network.
Learn more about our station host agreement. You can also stay connected through our e-newsletter, The Current.
Email us with questions.
Join us on Facebook for plug-in electric vehicle news, updates & events.